Selasa, 12 Februari 2008



Deere & Company began when John Deere, born in Rutland, Vermont, USA on February 7, 1804 moved to Grand Detour, Illinois in 1836 to escape bankruptcy in Vermont. Already an established blacksmith, Deere opened a 1,378 square feet shop in Grand Detour in 1837 which allowed him to serve as a general repairman in the village, as well as a manufacturer of small tools such as pitchforks and shovels.

Even more successful than these small tools was Deere's cast-steel plow, which was pioneered in 1837. Prior to Deere's introduction of the steel plow, most farmers used iron or wooden plows which stuck to the rich Midwestern soil and had to be cleaned very frequently. The smooth sided steel plow solved this problem, and would greatly aid migration into the American Great Plains in the 19th century and early 20th century. Deere's production of plows began slowly, but increased greatly when he departed from the traditional business model of making equipment as it was ordered and instead began to manufacture plows before they were ordered and then put them up for sale. This allowed customers to see what they were buying beforehand, and word of the product began to spread quickly.

In 1842, Deere entered a business partnership with Leonard Andrus and purchased land for the construction of a new two-story factory along the Rock River in Illinois. This factory, named the "L. Andrus Plough Manufacturer", produced about 100 plows in 1842 and approximately 400 plows during the next year. Despite the success, Deere's partnership with Andrus ended in 1848, when Deere relocated to Moline, Illinois in order to have access to the railroad and the Mississippi River. In Moline, Deere formed a partnership with Robert Tate and John Gould and quickly built a new 1,440 square feet factory in 1848. Production at the plant rose quickly, and by 1849 the Deere, Tate, & Gould Company was producing over 200 plows a month, and a two story addition to the plant was built to allow for further production.

John Deere bought out Tate and Gould's interests in the company in 1853, the same year that he was joined in the business by his son Charles Deere. The business continued to expand until 1857, when the company's production totals reached almost 1,120 implements per month. Then, in 1858 a nationwide financial recession took a toll on the company. In order to prevent bankruptcy, the company was reorganized and Deere sold his interests in the business to his son in law, Christopher Webber, and his son, Charles Deere, who would take on most of his father's managerial roles. The company was reorganized one final time in 1868, when it was incorporated as Deere & Company. The company's original stockholders were Charles Deere, Stephen Velie, George Vinton, and John Deere, who would serve as president of the company until 1886. Despite this, it was Charles who effectively ran the company. In 1869, Charles began to introduce marketing centers and independent retail dealers to advance the company's sales nationwide.

John Deere died in 1886, and the presidency of Deere & Company passed to Charles Deere. By now the company was manufacturing a variety of farm equipment products in addition to plows, including wagons, corn planters, cultivators. The company even expanded into the bicycle business briefly during the 1890s, but the core focus of the company remained on agricultural implements. Increased competition during the early 1900s from the new International Harvester Company led the company to expand its offerings in the implement business, but it was the production of gasoline tractors which would come to define Deere & Company's operations during the twentieth century.

In 1912, Deere & Company president William Butterworth, who had replaced Charles Deere after his death in 1907, began the company's expansion into the tractor business. Deere & Company briefly experimented with its own tractor models, the most successful of which was the Dain All-Wheel-Drive, but in the end decided to continue its foray into the tractor business by purchasing the Waterloo Gasoline Engine Company, which manufactured the popular Waterloo Boy tractor at its facilities in Waterloo, Iowa. Deere & Company continued to sell tractors under the Waterloo Boy name until 1923, when the John Deere Model D was introduced. The company still manufactures most of its tractors in Waterloo, Iowa.

According to John Ratzenberger, host of the Travel Channel series "Made in America", Deere & Company never repossessed any equipment from American farmers during the Great Depression. This was revealed during the shows profile of Deere & Company.

Deere & Company Today

As of 2006, the Deere & Company employs approximately 47,000 people in 27 countries worldwide, including the United States, Turkey, Canada, United Kingdom, China, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, India, Poland, and Mexico, among many others. Inside the United States, the company's primary locations are its administrative center in Moline, Illinois, as well as various locations in the Midwest and southeastern United States. Most manufacturing sites are in Iowa or Illinois, as well as locations in Europe. Carl Westby is known as the person that coined the phrase "Nothing runs like a Deere."

Major North American factories include:

Other Important Factories:

Operating Units

Deere & Company is currently organized into three major equipment divisions and six primary operating units:

  • Agricultural Equipment
  • Construction & Forestry Equipment
  • Commercial & Consumer Equipment
  • John Deere Power Systems
  • John Deere Parts
  • John Deere Credit

Subsidiaries & Affiliates

The John Deere Pavilion in Moline, Illinois.
The John Deere Pavilion in Moline, Illinois.
  • Ningbo Benye Tractor & Automobile Manufacture Co. Ltd. Ningbo, China - Chinese Tractor Company

Collaborations and Partnerships

  • North American distributor of Hitachi-branded construction equipment.
  • Deere-Hitachi, located in Kernersville, NC, is jointly owned by Deere & Company and Hitachi, and manufactures hydraulic excavators for the North American market.
  • A partnership with Bell Equipment of South Africa provided Deere with articulated dump truck technology. In exchange, Bell manufactures Deere backhoe loaders in South Africa for distribution internationally.
  • John Deere is provider of backhoe loader technology to Telco Construction Equipment Company, a subsidiary of Tata group in India.Source

Environmental record

Researchers at the Political Economy Research Institute of the University of Massachusetts Amherst placed Deere & Co. on its "Toxic 100" list of top corporate air polluters in the US for the year 2000.[1] Deere's "toxic score" (pounds released x toxicity x population exposure) ranked it 18th on the list. The score accounts for both fugitive (unintentional) and stack (intentional) releases. In terms of volume alone, Deere's roughly 410,000 pounds of toxic chemicals released in 2000 placed it 79th among the 99 companies listed.[2] Over 90% of the company's score came from the release of 3055 lbs of diisocyanates in 2002.[3]

Kamis, 24 Januari 2008

P&H Crane History

An Enduring Symbol of Reliability

P&H Mining Equipment spans more than a century of American and global industrial development.

Founded when the American West was still wild and a horse was a transportation mainstay for country and city folk alike, P&H Mining Equipment today delivers superb and highly reliable mining equipment for the very cost-focused world surface mining industry.

The sun never sets upon P&H drills, shovels, draglines and our allied products deployed to nine of ten surface mines around the world. And through our global network of P&H MinePro Services dealers, that equipment delivers exceptional productivity value through our life cycle management support.

When you see the P&H brand, you see an enduring symbol of quality and service reliability forged over more than a century.

Alonzo Pawling and Henry Harnischfeger join forces on December 1, 1884, starting up a small machine and pattern shop to transform industrial component and device ideas into models and patterns. As word of the craftsmanship of Pawling & Harnischfeger spreads, the partners begin manufacturing components and equipment for knitting, grain-drying, stamping, brewing and brick-making - and they do a great deal of repair work as well.

Pawling & Harnischfeger rebuild and improve upon the design of a damaged overhead crane made by another manufacturer. The safer, more durable crane powered by three electric motors quickly attracts attention and generates orders from factories, utilities and railroad repair shops across the country.

In failing health, Alonzo Pawling decides to sell his interest in the business to his partner, Henry Harnischfeger, who decides to keep the now well-known P&H trademark as the former partnership goes forward as a corporation called “Harnischfeger Corporation.”

Harnischfeger Corporation begins making earth-moving equipment. Trenching machines and wheel loaders are among the first “P&H” digging machines, followed soon after by crawler-mounted digging equipment including backfillers and wheel-type trenchers.

During World War I, Harnischfeger Corporation concentrates on making overhead cranes for the war effort. After the war, development of earthmoving equipment resumes. Harnischfeger engineers design the world’s first gasoline engine-powered dragline. Soon after that, Harnischfeger engineers develop a shovel-type excavator mounted on crawlers.

Co-founder Henry Harnischfeger dies and is succeeded by his son Walter Harnischfeger as president. During the Great Depression P&H struggles but moves forward, converting its cranes and excavators to all-welded design and fabrication for increased strength and efficiency.

Harnischfeger Corporation introduces “Bantamweight” gas-powered excavators with up to ½-cubic-yard capacity. P&H also introduces new Ward-Leonard drive electric excavators.

World War II brings the American economy to full capacity, and Harnischfeger Corporation mass-produces its “P&H” cranes and excavators for the war effort. The firm earns “E” awards from the Navy and Army for efficiency in meeting stepped-up production needs.

Peacetime marks the beginning of a world-wide industrial boom. P&H excavators and overhead and construction cranes contribute in a major way, both in America and in emerging markets worldwide. P&H introduces a new-generation electric mining shovel featuring simpler control components and factory-installed wiring for faster field erection and commissioning.

Harnischfeger Corporation engineers develop “Magnetorque” electro-magnetic brake and control system to replace traditional friction mechanisms for greatly increased digging power and speed. Magnetorque revolutionizes the heavy equipment industry and continues to be used on smaller electric shovels for decades to come.

P&H introduces its largest capacity electric dragline to date - the Model 1855 with up to 10 cubic yards bucket capacity. Magnetorque magnetic clutch system applied to every operating function: digging, hoisting, swinging and propelling. Designed primarily for strip mining, the 1855 brings new standards of performance to the field of large excavators.

P&H rolls out its new Model 1800 electric mining shovel - the latest and largest heavy-duty digging machine in the P&H line with electronic control, centralized AC motor drive, and numerous mechanical improvements.

Harnischfeger Corporation continues to expand its global network of customer support operations by entering into a joint ownership of a new company in Australia, P&H Power Cranes and Shovels, Pty., Ltd. Henry Harnischfeger, grandson of the founder, becomes president and guides Harnischfeger Corporation through significant growth in the 60s and 70s.

P&H shovel maximum dipper capacity reaches 12 cubic yards to help meet growing demand for highly productive taconite and other hard-rock mining excavators.

P&H embarks on formal training programs for personnel engaged in operating and maintaining P&H equipment.

P&H shovel maximum dipper capacity increases to 15 cubic yards.

In a major leap forward, the P&H 2800 electric shovel debuts initially with a 25 cubic yard dipper capacity to help meet growing world demand for coal, iron and copper. P&H 2800 innovations include solid-state electronic control and planetary propel, enabling the new-generation shovel to greatly increase productivity and overall performance.

Walter Harnischfeger dies. Over the previous six decades he led the firm through the Depression and transformed Harnischfeger Corporation into a global leader in the supply of equipment and support to the mining industry.

P&H increases maximum dipper capacity on its 2800-class shovel to 40 cubic yards. More significant, P&H introduces “Electrotorque” solid-state control for DC motors - a single-stage controlled power manipulation that delivers an abundant adjustable-voltage DC power supply, along with easy-to-understand control troubleshooting, maintenance and repair.

Harnischfeger Corporation reaches 100 consecutive years of product quality and service excellence on behalf of industry.

The company acquires the Page Engineering walking dragline product line and begins modernizing the line for increased performance value.

Harnischfeger Corporation acquires the Gardner-Denver line of large rotary blast hole drills and proceeds to implement needed upgrades for increased performance value. Also in 1991, the P&H 4100-class shovel line rolls out to help mines 3-pass-load 240-ton haul trucks. The 4100 features 85-ton dipper payloads and numerous ease-of-maintenance features including modular components - improvements resulting from growing consultation with mine managers.

P&H 120A blast hole drill rolls out with numerous performance-boosting improvements.

The underground mining equipment supplier, Joy Mining Machinery, joins P&H Mining Equipment in the holding company known as Harnischfeger Industries, Inc.

P&H Mining Equipment launches its global network of regional P&H MinePro Services centers to provide local service and distribution support for surface mine customers. Also, the 4100 shovel evolves into the 4100A, featuring DC digital “Electrotorque Plus” drive for faster digging cycles due to optimized peak horsepower, and improved information systems for the shovel operator and maintenance team.

P&H 4100TS rolls out and quickly gains a foothold in the Canadian oil sands as a high-performance loading tool.

P&H Mining Equipment introduces the Bigger, Faster, Smarter P&H 4100XPB - a versatile loading tool tailored to mines utilizing 240-ton, 320-ton and 360-ton haulers. Bigger payloads of 100-plus tons, faster cycle times, and smarter control systems for optimized digging performance and increased productivity. P&H Mining Equipment parent company Harnischfeger Industries, Inc. files for Chapter 11 financial restructuring stemming from sister firm Beloit Corporation (papermaking machinery) severe difficulties in wake of Asian currency devaluation crisis.

In a collaborative effort with oil sands mines, P&H Mining Equipment introduces the P&H 4100BOSS, a higher-performance successor to the well-regarded P&H 4100TS. Parent company “Harnischfeger Industries, Inc.” emerges from Chapter 11 financial restructuring and undergoes a name change to “Joy Global Inc.”

Rabu, 23 Januari 2008

Mining Truck Applications:

  1. Quebec Cartier Lac Jeannine
  2. Palabora, South Africa
  3. ISCOR, South Africa
  4. Nchanga, Zambia
  5. Rossing Uranium, Namibia
  6. Barrick Goldstrike, Nevada

Quebec Cartier Mine - 1970 to 1977

QCM at Lac Jeannine, Quebec was the first successful application of modern trolley-assist. This trolley system collected power from an overhead busbar using a trolley pole arrangement. Trolley trucks included KW Dart 85 ton, Unit Rig M85 (85 ton), and Unit Rig M100 (100 ton) trucks. For more details, see the history writeup.

For more historical details, click here.

Truck on Line
Unit Rig truck Entering Line

More of Overhead Line

Side View
Details of Entry Pan
View of Entrance Pan
Suspension Tower
Details of Trolley Pole
Pole in Stowed Position

Truck on Line
Entering the Line

Palabora Mining, South Africa - 1980 to 2001

Palabora's initial trolley test system incorporated a trolley pole/conductor arrangement. At conclusion of the testing, the poles were discarded and replaced with pantographs. The early trolley fleet was comprised of 75 Unit Rig Mark 36 trucks, with 170 ton capacity. Euclid R190 trucks were later added to the trolley fleet. For more details, see the history writeup.

For more historical details, click here.

Test Truck with Pole & Conductor
Early Pantograph Arrangement

Final Pantograph Arrangement

Unit Rig M36
Palabora Open Pit
Truck Silhouette


ISCOR Mining, South Africa - 1982 to 2001

ISCOR is presently the largest user of trolley assist in the world. These photos are primarily of the "early" ISCOR trolley system, with the exception of those showing the Euclid R280 AC truck. ISCOR has perfected a "lightweight" overhead line system, which is fed by many small substations. It is hoped to add photos of the current system in the near future.

As of February 2001, the Sishen mine was operating a trolley haulage fleet consisting of 32 Komatsu 730Es and 9 Unit Rig M36s. The Grootegeluk mine was operating a trolley haulage fleet consisting of 14 Komatsu 730Es, 11 Marathon-LeTourneau 2200s, and 1 Euclid R280 AC.

For more historical details, click here.

Sishen trolley trucks
Pantographs on Canopy

Details of Pantograph Mounting

Unit Rig M36
M36 on trolley
Haulpak 685E
Recently Rebuilt M36
MLT2200 at Grootegeluk
Closeup of MLT Panto Mount
Trolley Truck Lineup
Lots of Trucks on Line
Euclid R280
R280 at Grootegeluk
Closeup View

Side View

Nchanga Mine - 1983 to 198?

The ZCCM mine at Nchanga installed a trolley system that collected power from an overhead busbar using shoes mounted on trolley poles. Many of these pictures are screen shots from a GE-produced video. For more historical details, click here.

Photo Courtesy of GE
Haulpak 120C

Photo Courtesy of GE

Screen Shots from GE Video
Trolley Poles & Resting Point
Raising Poles
Poles Raised
Entering the Pan
On the Line
Front View
View Along the Line
Side View
Closeup of Poles
Carbon Shoe
Bolted Joint of Bus

Rossing Uranium - 1986 to 2001

Rossing was a "sister" mine to Palabora, and when they installed their trolley system, sometime around 1986, they patterned it after Palabora's.

As of February 2001, Rossing was operating a trolley haulage fleet consisting of 11 Komatsu 730Es.

Barrick Goldstrike - 1994 to 2001

Barrick conducted numerous trolley feasibility studies and in 1993 gave the go-ahead to proceed with the installation of a system at their Goldstrike mine in Nevada. The system was patterned after Palabora's, except that the equipment was upsized to accommodate Goldstrike's larger trucks (190 ton vs. 170 ton).

Overhead lines and substations were supplied by Siemens, and were of a full-catenary heavy-duty design. Pantographs, from TransTech of South Carolina, were used for current collection. Their "half-scissor" design differed from the "full-scissor" design used at Palabora.

By October 1994 five trolley lines, which totaled 2.9 miles in length, were in service - along with 50 Komatsu 685E haul trucks that had been converted for trolley operation. Barrick continued to expand the trolley system, with a total of 74 trucks and 4.5 miles of trolley lines in service.

Haulpak 685E at Goldstrike

Multiple Trucks on Line

Siemens Wayside Substation
Installing Trolley Line
Mobile Platform

Connecting the Substation