P&H Mining Equipment spans more than a century of American and global industrial development.
Founded when the American West was still wild and a horse was a transportation mainstay for country and city folk alike, P&H Mining Equipment today delivers superb and highly reliable mining equipment for the very cost-focused world surface mining industry.
The sun never sets upon P&H drills, shovels, draglines and our allied products deployed to nine of ten surface mines around the world. And through our global network of P&H MinePro Services dealers, that equipment delivers exceptional productivity value through our life cycle management support.
When you see the P&H brand, you see an enduring symbol of quality and service reliability forged over more than a century.
Alonzo Pawling and Henry Harnischfeger join forces on December 1, 1884, starting up a small machine and pattern shop to transform industrial component and device ideas into models and patterns. As word of the craftsmanship of Pawling & Harnischfeger spreads, the partners begin manufacturing components and equipment for knitting, grain-drying, stamping, brewing and brick-making - and they do a great deal of repair work as well.
Pawling & Harnischfeger rebuild and improve upon the design of a damaged overhead crane made by another manufacturer. The safer, more durable crane powered by three electric motors quickly attracts attention and generates orders from factories, utilities and railroad repair shops across the country.
In failing health, Alonzo Pawling decides to sell his interest in the business to his partner, Henry Harnischfeger, who decides to keep the now well-known P&H trademark as the former partnership goes forward as a corporation called “Harnischfeger Corporation.”
Harnischfeger Corporation begins making earth-moving equipment. Trenching machines and wheel loaders are among the first “P&H” digging machines, followed soon after by crawler-mounted digging equipment including backfillers and wheel-type trenchers.
During World War I, Harnischfeger Corporation concentrates on making overhead cranes for the war effort. After the war, development of earthmoving equipment resumes. Harnischfeger engineers design the world’s first gasoline engine-powered dragline. Soon after that, Harnischfeger engineers develop a shovel-type excavator mounted on crawlers.
Co-founder Henry Harnischfeger dies and is succeeded by his son Walter Harnischfeger as president. During the Great Depression P&H struggles but moves forward, converting its cranes and excavators to all-welded design and fabrication for increased strength and efficiency.
Harnischfeger Corporation introduces “Bantamweight” gas-powered excavators with up to ½-cubic-yard capacity. P&H also introduces new Ward-Leonard drive electric excavators.
World War II brings the American economy to full capacity, and Harnischfeger Corporation mass-produces its “P&H” cranes and excavators for the war effort. The firm earns “E” awards from the Navy and Army for efficiency in meeting stepped-up production needs.
Peacetime marks the beginning of a world-wide industrial boom. P&H excavators and overhead and construction cranes contribute in a major way, both in America and in emerging markets worldwide. P&H introduces a new-generation electric mining shovel featuring simpler control components and factory-installed wiring for faster field erection and commissioning.
Harnischfeger Corporation engineers develop “Magnetorque” electro-magnetic brake and control system to replace traditional friction mechanisms for greatly increased digging power and speed. Magnetorque revolutionizes the heavy equipment industry and continues to be used on smaller electric shovels for decades to come.
P&H introduces its largest capacity electric dragline to date - the Model 1855 with up to 10 cubic yards bucket capacity. Magnetorque magnetic clutch system applied to every operating function: digging, hoisting, swinging and propelling. Designed primarily for strip mining, the 1855 brings new standards of performance to the field of large excavators.
P&H rolls out its new Model 1800 electric mining shovel - the latest and largest heavy-duty digging machine in the P&H line with electronic control, centralized AC motor drive, and numerous mechanical improvements.
Harnischfeger Corporation continues to expand its global network of customer support operations by entering into a joint ownership of a new company in Australia, P&H Power Cranes and Shovels, Pty., Ltd. Henry Harnischfeger, grandson of the founder, becomes president and guides Harnischfeger Corporation through significant growth in the 60s and 70s.
P&H shovel maximum dipper capacity reaches 12 cubic yards to help meet growing demand for highly productive taconite and other hard-rock mining excavators.
P&H embarks on formal training programs for personnel engaged in operating and maintaining P&H equipment.
P&H shovel maximum dipper capacity increases to 15 cubic yards.
In a major leap forward, the P&H 2800 electric shovel debuts initially with a 25 cubic yard dipper capacity to help meet growing world demand for coal, iron and copper. P&H 2800 innovations include solid-state electronic control and planetary propel, enabling the new-generation shovel to greatly increase productivity and overall performance.
Walter Harnischfeger dies. Over the previous six decades he led the firm through the Depression and transformed Harnischfeger Corporation into a global leader in the supply of equipment and support to the mining industry.
P&H increases maximum dipper capacity on its 2800-class shovel to 40 cubic yards. More significant, P&H introduces “Electrotorque” solid-state control for DC motors - a single-stage controlled power manipulation that delivers an abundant adjustable-voltage DC power supply, along with easy-to-understand control troubleshooting, maintenance and repair.
Harnischfeger Corporation reaches 100 consecutive years of product quality and service excellence on behalf of industry.
The company acquires the Page Engineering walking dragline product line and begins modernizing the line for increased performance value.
Harnischfeger Corporation acquires the Gardner-Denver line of large rotary blast hole drills and proceeds to implement needed upgrades for increased performance value. Also in 1991, the P&H 4100-class shovel line rolls out to help mines 3-pass-load 240-ton haul trucks. The 4100 features 85-ton dipper payloads and numerous ease-of-maintenance features including modular components - improvements resulting from growing consultation with mine managers.
P&H 120A blast hole drill rolls out with numerous performance-boosting improvements.
The underground mining equipment supplier, Joy Mining Machinery, joins P&H Mining Equipment in the holding company known as Harnischfeger Industries, Inc.
P&H Mining Equipment launches its global network of regional P&H MinePro Services centers to provide local service and distribution support for surface mine customers. Also, the 4100 shovel evolves into the 4100A, featuring DC digital “Electrotorque Plus” drive for faster digging cycles due to optimized peak horsepower, and improved information systems for the shovel operator and maintenance team.
P&H 4100TS rolls out and quickly gains a foothold in the Canadian oil sands as a high-performance loading tool.
P&H Mining Equipment introduces the Bigger, Faster, Smarter P&H 4100XPB - a versatile loading tool tailored to mines utilizing 240-ton, 320-ton and 360-ton haulers. Bigger payloads of 100-plus tons, faster cycle times, and smarter control systems for optimized digging performance and increased productivity. P&H Mining Equipment parent company Harnischfeger Industries, Inc. files for Chapter 11 financial restructuring stemming from sister firm Beloit Corporation (papermaking machinery) severe difficulties in wake of Asian currency devaluation crisis.
In a collaborative effort with oil sands mines, P&H Mining Equipment introduces the P&H 4100BOSS, a higher-performance successor to the well-regarded P&H 4100TS. Parent company “Harnischfeger Industries, Inc.” emerges from Chapter 11 financial restructuring and undergoes a name change to “Joy Global Inc.”